VA Caribbean Healthcare System
The Dietetic Internship at the VA Caribbean Healthcare System is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The VA Caribbean Healthcare System Dietetic Internship is a program of 51 weeks (July-July) with a Clinical concentration with a sub-concentration of Spinal Cord Injury. The Internship Program provides supervised experiences in Clinical Dietetics, Community Nutrition, and Food Service Systems and Management. In addition to the supervised practical experiences, the program includes medical and dietetic lectures, seminars, case presentations, research projects and community experiences.
The Dietetic Internship Program will provide the student with the following:
- Expertise to assume an expanded role in clinical nutrition including nutritional assessment, development of nutritional care plan, its implementation and evaluation.
- Expertise in translating knowledge of food, nutrition, and medical sciences into the practice of nutritional care.
- Basic functional skills necessary to manage Food Service System.
- Basic skills for planning, implementing and evaluating the teaching learning process.
- Basic functional skills necessary to perform as an effective administrator, as a clinician, educator and consultant.
- Develop motivation and interest in the area of Nutrition Research.
- Eligibility to take the registration examination, become an active member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic and get the Puerto Rico licensure
For more information, please visit https://www.dieteticinternship.va.gov/sanjuan/SanJuanApplication.asp